Happiest Baby on the Block
This class is for expectant parents, and parents of young babies* who would like to learn techniques for calming and soothing a baby.
This class is based on the highly effective, 5 step approach to calming crying, and encouraging sleep, pioneered by Dr. Harvey Karp in his best-selling book and DVD.
In our Happiest Baby Class, you will learn step-by-step how to help your baby sleep better and how to soothe even the fussiest baby in minutes…even seconds!
Parents will also learn:
- Why the idea that colic is due to gas pains is mostly an old wives’ tale
- Why keeping the house quiet may actually be upsetting to many newborns
- Why most babies get more upset in the evening
- Why it’s impossible to spoil young babies
- An easy way to help infants sleep a few hours more at night
- Why fathers are often the best baby-calmers in the family
Time / place:This class is 2 hours long, and is taught 9 times a year, alternating between Northwest Hospital and the UW Physicians’ Roosevelt Clinic in the U District. The class fee includes a copy of the DVD or videotape for you to take home for later practice.
To register for the class, you can use our online registration system >> , or call (206)789-0883.
This class can be taken before baby’s birth, or anytime in the first two months. (Techniques are most effective for babies in their “fourth trimester” – the first three months of life.)
It’s OK to bring your baby to class! And it’s OK if they cry during class – gives us a chance to see the techniques in action!
This class is taught by Jennifer McArthur, a certified doula, postpartum doula, and certified Happiest Baby on the Block educator.