• In Washington State: Call the Family Help Line at 1-800-932-HOPE (4673)
• Outside of Washington State: contact your local Circle of Parents agency >>
Mini Breaks and Micro VacationsWouldn’t it be great if there was a Magic Fairy that came around everyday and rewarded parents for a job well done?!
No such luck.
Most parents have to reward themselves for a job well done. But with all the responsibilities taking time to reward yourself may feel like a luxury you can’t afford. The truth is: If you want to take good care of your family, you must take good care of yourself!
Mini-breaks. The pause that refreshes.
What are the small ways you can reward yourself everyday?
- Stop for 10 minutes and read a favorite magazine?
- Listen to a soothing tape?
- Call a friend?
- Look through a kaleidoscope?
- Pet the cat?
- Read the newspaper?
What brings you joy in 10 minutes or less?
The goal is to build in three mini-breaks, at least, during each day. This investment of 30 minutes each day can bring numerous rewards:
- increased efficiency
- decreased stress
- better problem-solving ability.
But most important, you deserve rewards and breaks!
Micro-vacations. Something to live for.
Human beings can put up with a great deal of stress if they can count on eventually getting a real break to take care of themselves.
- go to the art museum
- spend the day riding the ferry
- go the movies with friends
- attend a flower show
- join an eagle-watching hike
- sit in the library and read all afternoon.
- Whatever brings you joy and renewed energy!
Parents need to know that they can count on a time when they can stop being a parent for a few hours and nurture themselves.
The goal is to have at least 6 hours each month to nurture yourself. This doesn’t mean an afternoon off from the kids to finish all your projects and complete your “to do” list. This is a micro-vacation that nurtures and refreshes you!
Write down some examples of a monthly micro-vacation that would really “re-charge” your batteries. Discuss it with a friend!
Parents deserve rest, rewards, and relaxation too! Go out there and “re-charge”!