Young children love to assemble puzzles. This activity is a great way to recycle your child’s favorite cereal box and have fun with puzzles.
Playing and Learning: This activity is fun for your child, and your child will develop some early learning skills, such as:
- Eye-hand coordination
- Word recognition and word assembly
- Listen carefully to 3 step instructions
- Wait patiently
Directions: After you are done with your favorite cereal:
- Cut out the front portion of the cereal box.
- Remove the sides, so all that is left is the front of the box.
- Turn the front of the cereal box face down and draw 6-8 puzzle shapes directly onto the cardboard. You should make the pieces distinct enough so that once they are cut out they are easily re-assembled.
- Cut out the shapes. Try not to leave jagged edges.
- Begin the activity by allowing your child to simply explore the shapes.
Remember to praise: Children need constant praise and encouragement.
Help, rather than lead: Children need to feel successful, so don’t be too anxious to form the puzzle yourself. Remember, you are your child’s first and best teacher!