You can do this activity in preparation for a special event, or for no reason other than to have fun together. Playing music while doing this adds to the fun.
- Lots of construction paper (actually almost any kind of paper is fine, except newspaper. You’d get inky. Wrapping paper gives an interesting look to this activity.)
- An adhesive; either glue sticks or scotch tape. Enough for each adult and child to have their own. Tape is better for most paper.
Preparation: Anyone old enough to use scissors can do the prep work.
- Starting at the long side of the paper, cut strips one to two inches wide. Make a lot. Tons. As many as you can stand to make. The more paper strips, the longer the chain.
- Lay the pieces out on the table
- Get your glue or tape ready!
Make the Chains
- Choose your first strip and glue or tape the ends together.
- If gluing, hold it a few seconds until the glue dries and the shape holds.
- Add another strip by looping it through the first and gluing its ends together. Now you have two links in your chain.
- Continue adding strips.
- When the chain is long enough, hang it up!
- You can all work on one big chain, or can each make your own chains. You can even link individual chains together if desired.
Variation: use different colored paper and make patterns with the chain links.