Coloring a mandala prior to a stressful event can help you be more relaxed when you start the stressful event.
Coloring a mandala during a difficult conversation or situation can also help reduce your stress.
Just coloring a mandala for no other reason than relaxation can be a terrific experience!
- Mandala for coloring. You can use the image here; click on it for a bigger version, or find many more at coloringhome.com >>
- Find a quiet place where you can sit comfortable and not be interrupted.
- You should plan on spending 10-20 minutes on this exercise.
- Use the mandala and the crayons as your point of focus.
- When your mind starts to wander, simply recognize that it has wandered and gently bring your attention back to coloring.
- Pay attention to:
- the feel of the crayon on the paper as you color back and forth.
- the smell of the crayons
- the colors of the crayons
- coloring inside the lines (to help with focus)
- Music: Some people enjoy listening to music while doing this technique. If your goal is to trigger a relaxation response, Parent Trust recommends that you either:
- try the technique without music OR
- use music that is simple, background music. Something with a simple melody line, one or two instruments only, preferably no vocals.