Reading to your child, having your child read to you, and encouraging your child’s reading can have a positive, lifetime impact.
Thank you for letting us share our love of reading and books with you. We hope you are encouraged to make reading a part of your family’s routine.
The books in these sections have all been read and positively reviewed by Parent Trust staff. All our book photos link to our Amazon Associates store. Buying through our link sends a percentage of the sale to Parent Trust! You can also find many of these titles in your local library.
Literacy is Essential
Literacy is essential not just for academic success, but for success at work, at home and in the community. Promoting reading in your home helps your child succeed!
- Reading encourages language development.
- Reading to your child promotes listening skills
- Reading supports an increasing attention span
- And most of all, reading is fun!!!
If your child doesn’t like to read, you might explore the following:
- Are they having trouble reading? Have they been tested for dyslexia or other learning disabilities?
- Have you thought about limiting TV and computer time to increase the time they can devote to reading?
- Are you allowing your child to pick books they are interested in? Educational books are great, but reading for pleasure is just as important as reading to learn.
- Do you read? A parent’s reading habits affect a child’s reading habits. If you read, it’s more likely your children will read.
According to the National Institute for Literacy, “When children become good readers in the early grades, they are more likely to become better learners throughout their school years and beyond.”