- Pre-cut construction paper butterflies
- Tempera paints work best, but watercolors will do in a pinch
Preparation: Making the cutout shapes
- Take a piece of construction paper; white or light colors work best.
- Fold it in half. Press hard on the crease.
- Draw outline of half a butterfly
- Cut out butterfly. Make at least one per child.
Painting The Butterflies
- Keep the cutout butterfly folded when you give it to the children to paint.
- Paint the cutout, but on only one side. It works best when there is a good amount of white space left.
- Open the butterfly.
- Fold the butterfly in on itself, so the paint side is now on the inside.
- Press down on paper; you can rub from top to bottom too, but rub gently.
- Carefully open butterfly to see design.