Like all of our Great Starts series, the Lamaze® series will cover everything you need to know as a first-time parent.
It includes content similar to our Labor & Birth class, Breastfeeding class, and Newborn Care class, but in a different format, with emphasis on the philosophy and care practices recommended by Lamaze® International. (Note: if you’re just looking for an all purpose class, such as the kind that the TV shows and movies call a “Lamaze® class”, then any of our series will meet your needs.)
This Lamaze®-specific series is based on the philosophy described by the Lamaze® Approach to Birth:
- Birth is normal, natural and healthy.
- The experience of birth profoundly affects women and their families.
- Women’s inner wisdom guides them through birth.
- Women’s confidence and ability to give birth is either enhanced or diminished by the care provider and place of birth.
- Women have the right to give birth free from routine medical interventions.
- Birth can safely take place in homes, birth centers and hospitals.
- Childbirth education empowers women to make informed choices in health care, to assume responsibility for their health and to trust their inner wisdom.
The Lamaze® series is structured around the Lamaze® 6 Care Practices to Promote Normal Birth, also known as the Lamaze® Healthy Birth Practices. We encourage you to read about these practices and/or watch the videos to help you decide if this class is right for you.
This series meets weekly for 4 weeks on weeknight evenings. Plan to take a class series that will end at least 2 – 5 weeks before your due date.
Please note: this class is taught using a flipped curriculum. This means families will be asked to engage in material before class each week. Rather than spending class time listening to lectures, a flipped curriculum allows more time to practice what you’ve learned and ask questions. Class preparation will require about 1.5 to 2 hours weekly.
Lamaze is offered in-person and online.
Please see our registration page for price information.